Young children love routines and predictability: feeding, bathtime, storytime, bedtime. Turn these into special, fun times for you and your children. Little kids don’t get bored by the same old things – in fact they love them! They learn best by seeing your facial expressions, hearing your voice and anticipating what comes next. When you do something, they respond. When they do something, you respond. This back and forth will build their brain. It’s the way children learn!
- Play 'here comes the aeroplane' at dinner time.
- Copy your child’s facial expressions, gestures or words or babble. This shows what they do is important to you and activates special cells in your child’s brain called mirror neurons. It’s also a lot of fun!
- Play together with your children’s favourite bath toys or build castles out of the bubbles and have fun blowing them down.
- Snuggle up together to read a story.
- End each day with a goodnight kiss.